Better for you. Better for the planet.
As you're shopping, you may notice a leaf icon next to some products. This indicates that the product qualifies as green according to our standard. There is no single way to define what it means to be "green." So what is it that makes some of our products green? We define a "green" product as one that, based on our review described below, is made with healthy, environmentally sound ingredients and materials - a product that, at its core, is better for you and better for the planet.
Before we qualify a product as "green," we review the product description provided by the vendor to check that materials and ingredients are organic, natural or made mostly from sustainable materials. Products that otherwise contribute to a healthy home because they are energy efficient, water efficient, reusable, remove toxins or use renewable energy also qualify for the site.
Qualifying products must fall into at least one of the following categories:
1. Made from Sustainable Materials: These products are made with at least 50% materials that are rapidly renewable, responsibly harvested or require no new raw materials in their manufacture. Examples include bamboo, cork, wool, soy, hemp, organic cotton, corn-based plastic, sustainably harvested wood or recycled, reclaimed, reused or upcycled materials.
2. Energy Efficient: These products are either ENERGY STAR qualified or specifically designed to promote energy conservation. ENERGY STAR products use 10 to 50% less energy than non-rated products.
- 3. Natural:
- Grocery Products & Nutritional Supplements: These products are made primarily of natural ingredients with minimal processing. Natural ingredients are extracted directly from plants or animals as opposed to being made synthetically. In addition, these products do not contain any substances on our Banned Ingredients List.
- Personal Care, Beauty, Cleaning & Baby Care Products: These products are made primarily of plant-based, naturally-derived and non-petroleum ingredients, pure essential oils and gentle preservatives. They do not contain any substances on our Banned Ingredients List.
4. Organic: These products are certified USDA Organic or made with at least 95% organic ingredients or materials, meaning, they are produced without synthetic pesticides and fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, GMOs or radiation.
5. Designed to Remove Toxins: These products are specifically intended to purify air or water. They contribute to a healthier home by removing toxins from the air or water.
6. Powered by Renewable Energy: These products generate, or are powered by, renewable energy. Renewable energy comes from natural resources such as sunlight, wind, water or even humans. It is considered naturally replenishable, has no limited supply and can be used over and over again.
7. Reusable: These products reduce waste by promoting reuse. Ideally, these products will also be made of natural, organic, recyclable or compostable materials.
8. Water Efficient: These products are either WaterSense® qualified or specifically designed to promote water conservation. WaterSense® products are at least 20% more water efficient than standard products.
Because new discoveries are made and new certifications are developed, we regularly review our standards and update them as necessary.
Interested in green products for all areas of your life? Check out our sister site, Vine.com .